New Carlisle was established in
New Carlisle was the birthplace of General Frederick Funston.
On June 10, 1933, the infamous John Dillinger committed his
first bank robbery, taking $10,000 from a bank that occupied the
building at the southeast corner of Main Street and Jefferson
Street (state routes 235 and 571) in New Carlisle. That bank
still stands but is now a candle store named "The Candle
For more information about New Carlisle's history contact the
New Carlisle Historical Society.
President: William Berry
Vice President: Linda Stradling Campbell
Treasurer - Dee Berry
Secretary: Virginia Cox
Meetings are held at the Presbyterian Church on the third
Wednesday of each month at 7:00 PM. For information call Linda Stradling
Campbell at 937-845-3443 or email email@example.com
Annual Sidewalk Sale is held the 1st
weekend in May and the weekend following Labor Day.
The Christmas Open House sponsored by the Downtown Merchants is
held the weekend before Thanksgiving. This years event is
November 20 & 21, 2010.
Heritage of Flight Festival and Parade! Come join in the
fun the first weekend of October. Friday kicks off with a car
cruise in, Saturday's Parade of Planes and Community Parade.
New Carlisle 200th
New Carlisle is celebrating its 200th Anniversary thru December
31, 2010. For this years open house weekend, Nov. 20 &
21, the New Carlisle Area Chamber of Commerce has asked
Santa Claus and some of his elves to pay us a visit both days.
He will be at the New Carlisle News office, 135 S Main St from 1
- 4 both Saturday and Sunday. Santa will be passing out
goodies and coupons for discounts at Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken
and for the participating shops. Details will be available
in the stores and at the Chamber headquarters in Honeycreek
Galleries. The New Carlisle News will be offering a discount on
NEW subscriptions. Photographers will be available to
take memory pictures at a nominal charge also. Shops
will be open extended hours these two days -- most from 10
to 6 on Saturday and Noon to 6 on Sunday.
When in town we encourage you to visit
the Wot-a-dog restaurant. They still have car hops and
cruise-ins. For information you can visit their website at
The New Carlisle Airport (now
officially named the Andy Barnhart Memorial Airport) had its
inception in the late 1940's when six men, Carl Hall, William
Schubert, Frank Vlasic, Jack Hadder, Ralph Moore and Roger
Taynor obtained their private pilot licenses and were looking
for a place to fly.
In 1949, the thought of a permanent airport was born. The
idea was discussed with a local farmer, Galen Barnhart and a
gentleman's agreement was reached with monthly landing fees and
tie-down rent paid to Mr. Barnhart.
In 1952, the Flying Angels, Inc., was established and the
gentlemen's agreement was replaced by a written leasing
contract. The club name came about through a comment made by
Jack Hadder who was considered the comedian of the group. He
jokingly said "I am an angel, I am a flying angel" and
the club was named and continues to be the Flying Angels.
By 1960, hangars were being built and membership was growing.
The Flying Angels has evolved into a well organized club with a
written Constitution, By-Laws and Officers. It is financed and
supported by its members and receives no funds from Local, State
or Federal Government.
The Flying Angels is a non-profit organization promoting
interests in flying, providing airfield facilities in the area
and promoting safe flying practices. They provide various social
activities for their members and families.
The New Carlisle Airport supports the local area with such
activities as flying Santa Claus in for the Christmas Parade and
working with the City for a unique Heritage of Flight Parade
including airplanes being pulled by tractors through the city
streets. The Airport is also used as a landing site for the
medical helicopter in times of emergencies.
Park is located in the heart of New Carlisle. The park was
given to the city by the Smith family.
The New Carlisle Public Library is one
of the top 100 libraries in the country! As the community's center for lifelong learning and enrichment, the New Carlisle Public Library meets residents' educational, cultural, and recreational needs by providing timely and convenient access to materials, programs, technology, and services.
The New Carlisle Public Library was organized more than 90 years ago by The Progress Club, a group of women dedicated to improving themselves and the town. The women gave of their time and services to maintain a reading room over the Corner Drug Store. For several years the ladies subscribed to the "Traveling Library" supplied by the State Library. Various fund raising events were held to pay for rent, lights, new books, and maintenance.
New Carlisle is in the Tecumseh
Local Schools district formally known as "The New Carlisle
Bethel Local School District